Curious about online counseling in Nigeria? Learn what it is, how it works, your options, and more. Read on to see if online counseling is right for you.
What is Online Counseling?
Online counseling is another example of how traditional services are being translated into virtual experiences that you can take with you anywhere. With a variety of online platforms, therapy, chat rooms, and general mental health services, getting treatment online has never been easier.
Below, we’ll be taking a look at how to get the most out of your online therapy, as well as reviewing some of the most popular options you have to choose from.
How Does Online Counseling Work?
Online counseling is revolutionizing the way people are able to access critical treatment. Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, online services were a growing industry with plenty of sites to choose from. Still, you may find yourself wondering, is online counseling legit?
Fortunately, yes, online counseling is legit and there are a multitude of services that host licensed counselors, psychiatrists and other specialists for you to talk with over video chat, the phone, or even text.
But does insurance cover online counseling? In many cases, yes. This will of course vary from one insurance plan to another, so make sure to read the fine print to find the right plan for you. Also be sure to check that the online counseling platform your using takes your insurance, before booking.
We’re going to dive into some of the most popular sites later in this article but for now, take time to consider these important factors if you’re interested in seeking out online counseling.
What to Consider Before Trying Online Counseling
- What kind of counseling are you looking for? If you’ve been to counseling before, you might have a better idea of what you’re looking for. Whether COVID-19 has forced you to transition online, or whether you’re just trying something new, consider what you liked and didn’t like from in-person counseling. If you’re new to counseling, take a look below at some important factors to consider when choosing an online service.
- How often do you want treatment? Is it important for you to have several appointments a week, or do you just want a monthly check up?
- How would you like to communicate with your counselor? Over video chat, over the phone, through text, or email, a combination of these?
- What is your budget? There are a variety of price points for any budget in online counseling.
Read: How Much Does Online Counseling Cost?
- What kind of counseling are you looking for? There’s couple’s counseling, career counseling, grief counseling, family counseling, etc. Take the time to consider what it is you’re seeking help for.
- What kind of environment do you want to take your counseling in? We recommend finding a space that’s appropriate for counseling where you can give it your full attention. Similarly, you’re going to need good wifi or cell service if you’re on the phone or video chatting.
Why Online Counseling is Gaining Traction
Online counseling is gaining traction for a number of reasons. First, let’s address the obvious: COVID-19. Like most things in our lives, counseling services have been forced to go online due to social distancing policy.
It’s simply not safe to be in another room with someone who might be sick, and for that reason, counseling went virtual. However, long before COVID-19 struck, online platforms were hosting thousands of counselors for you to talk to.
Online counseling just makes sense. In this age, we communicate with one another constantly using our phones and computers. So, it’s only natural that counseling, a service at its core about communication, was made possible and popular online.
In-person counseling still has its benefits. For some people, speaking in-person makes all the difference by allowing them to connect with the counselor or loved ones better, or to just stay focused. But, by expanding counseling into online platforms, the number of people who have access to these services goes up and the costs are reduced.
Difference Between an Online Counselor and an Online Psychiatrist
Online counselors and an online psychiatrists differ in the same ways online as they do in-person
- A counselor is a mental health expert, trained to help individuals resolve issues with their thoughts, emotions, behavior, and relationships. “Counselor” is used to refer to a wide range of specialists who provide a variety of treatment and rehabilitative options
- A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who, like a counselor, specializes in mental health issues. However, a psychiatrist is qualified to assess both the mental and physical aspects of psychological problems. They are trained as physicians, and perform both medical and psychological tests to provide a concrete background of a person’s physical and mental state. In this way, a psychiatrist can write prescriptions for medication, such as antidepressants, that counselors cannot.
Read: What’s the Difference Between and Psychiatrist and a Counselor?
Best Online Counseling Platforms in Nigeria
Whether you’re looking for online counseling for different mental health conditions or just trying to find the right virtual counselor, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most popular services below. So, what is the best online counseling site?
If you’d like to speak with a professional counselor about your mental health, speak to one here.